- PAYG smart meters can be topped up online, via text or by visiting a local shop to purchase credit.
- The PAYG meters are intelligent and offer a bit of grace if you run out of credit at a critical time. So, rather than shutting you off overnight they’ll make sure you wake up warm and cosy the next morning.
- PAYG smart meters should narrow the price gap between existing credit meters and pre-payment meters though they will still be slightly more expensive to use.
- Smart meters will come supplied with a wireless display to tell you exactly how much you’re using at that instant, what it costs and what you’ve used in the past.
- There will be no more estimated bills and you’ll be able to switch supplier instantly.
- Your own micro generation i.e. solar panels, can be measured by the meter so you’ll know exactly what you’re exporting to the grid.
Everyone should be offered a smart meter from their supplier by 2020.
In the meantime if you’d like to have a play with a smart meter check out Utilita’s website for a demonstration: http://www.utilita.co.uk/smart-meters/utilitas-smart-meters
If you have a smart meter installed and would like to share your own findings with us please get in touch: