Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard (MEES)

Complete MEES Questionnaire

Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard (MEES)

The Domestic Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard (MEES) Regulations set a minimum energy efficiency level for domestic private rented properties. The Regulations apply to all domestic private rented properties.

They are legally required to have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) which has been assessed within the last 10 years and has an EPC rating of A to E or has a registered exemption if the EPC rating is F or G.

West Devon Borough Council (WDBC) / South Hams District Council (SHDC) has an obligation to check whether private rental properties meet this standard, and if not, offer advice and support to enable the landlord to comply with the regulations, and if necessary, take enforcement action.

WDBC/SHDC are seeking to engage positively with landlords to improve homes without the need for enforcement action to be taken. To enable this they have partnered with us, Tamar Energy Community, to provide impartial advice to landlords about improvements, grants available, and competent installers.

We are getting in touch with landlords we believe have rental properties that are not currently complying with the regulations, to encourage improvement in the energy efficiency standards of these homes.

If you are a private tenant, landlord or managing agent in a property with an F or G rating, or you don’t know, could you please take a few minutes to complete this online form

The form will enable you to submit the details of your property and let us know if you are the resident, landlord or owners of the property and:

  • clarify if you think this regulation does not apply to your property
  • confirm if you are already taking action to improve the home, or
  • request further support and advice from Tamar Energy Community

If you are unable to access the internet please call Tamar Energy Community on 0800-233-5414.

WDBC/SHDC will be prioritising action against those landlords who are not engaging or taking any steps to improve their property (barring any valid and registered exemptions).


Additional resources:

Further information about the MEES Regulations

Advice Sheet for Landlords – download here